Spaghetti Westerns

Seeing I’m in Clint Eastwood country again I looked up some of the locations for the movies. I did not know that there was often a mix of Spain and Italy locations for the same movie, with the Italian film studio in Rome and editing done in the US. 

In the case of “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly,” for instance, specific locations include the Tabernas Desert and the Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park in Spain. Which I’m passing through right now. The Sad Hill Cemetery scene was filmed in Burgos, Spain, and is a notable location that has since become a sort of pilgrimage site for fans. If I had known I too would have made that pilgrimage. I also hadn’t realised the cemetery set was recreated by fans. I thought it was a real cemetery. 

The Good lays out his simple credo. “You see, in this World, there’s two kinds of people my friend.Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.”



Comments